Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Three-Dimensional Shapes


Over the last few weeks, my kindergartners have been learning about Three-Dimensional shapeHere are some of our favorite stations.




Making a Town Using Three-Dimensional Shapes
My students LOVED working with a friend and creating a part of the town. At large group time, we brainstormed what we needed to have in our town.

Students made little signs and will soon be making maps of the town. We will also learn about creating and giving directions. I hope to have my students create an anchor chart of meaningful words we can use. We will continue to add to this!




Guess My Secret Rule (Silent Math)
During this lesson, the teacher begins to sort shapes into a pile. 
It is called Silent Math Time because no one can talk, including the teacher! 

Students will be called on silently.  If a shape belongs it stays in the pile, but if the shape does not belong, the teacher will move it out.  When the game is over, the teacher will talk. 

"Okay class, who can tell me what the secret rule is?"




Shape Shadows
What kind of shadow will a cylinder make?
It was a little tricky to use a flashlight to see the shadows of the figures. But a
colleague suggested we put it in the natural sunlight. The kids were amazed!!



Guess My Shape
One child is IT and takes an object out of the first bag and puts it in the second bag.
We started the game with a cylinder, cone, sphere and the cube.

The person who is IT gives two clues about the shape.

I have a circle face.
I have a point.
What shape am I?

The children playing the game,
circle (on the recording sheet below) what shape they think it is.
The sheet allows them to play four rounds.


 We first started playing this game with four shapes and added two more.
After playing this game many times, the person who is IT can record their clues.



Which Is Taller?
Students compared different 3-D objects in the classroom focusing on <, > symbols.
Anchor Chart
During interactive writing time, we recorded our observations about the 
 three dimension shapes. 
We made illustrations of real world objects.
Vocabulary Chart
I saw this chart in Debbie Diller's Math Work Station book and I love it!
This chart is a very helpful tool for my students.

Shape Hunt
We went on a shape hunt looking for three-dimensional shapes in our environment. We took photos with our class I PADs and made a slideshow with Haiku Deck.


3 Dimensional Shapes - Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires




Sources: Think Math
              Debbie Diller Math Work Stations






25 comments:

  1. I love your activities. I can easily integrate many into my geometry unit. Thank you for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,
    I am so glad you can use some of these stations...the kids LOVED the shadows. Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! None of these links for downloads work anymore. Is there any way you can e-mail them to me? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annalise,
    For some reason unknown Drop Box is not downloading the sheets. Let me look on my computer for the templates tonight and I will send them to you. Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much. My e-mail is annalise.agnello@gemsdaa.net :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great! Having trouble downloading... Would you mind sending to me?? amys0760@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too can not get any of these to show. Can you send to tacielawrence@yahoo.com please?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi i would love copy too, my email address is isovain@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you possibly email Guess my shape recording sheet and other downloads to me as well? cklsmckibbin@gmail.com. You've got great ideas for teaching 3d Shapes - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love a copy too. My email address is angela.buegeler@springbranchisd.com

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say I would love copies of the guess my shape, vertices/edges/faces sheet, and the 3D vocabulary chart cards.

      Delete
  11. Could you email to me as well? Thanks so much in advance!
    napolitanob@fortmillschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your activités look very effective for building 3D shape knowledge! Would you be able to email me the copies of guess my shape, vertices/edges/faces sheet and the the 3D anchor chart cards? Thank you so much! My email is chardillender@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These activities look great! Can you send a copy to me too please? The dropbox is not working. My email is empoweringexplorers@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would also love a copy because I can't get any of the links to work. teri.morton@lrsd.org

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me too please clever lady :) foxy380@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Could you please email them to me as well? Thank you! DupreyL@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. The links on Drop Box should work now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good Morning! I love the ideas but can't download. :( Could you send them to me please? My email is bquirin@houstonisd.org. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Thanks so much Mrs Clancy. I got all but the vertices worksheet. I appreciate your generosity tremendously!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can I also get the worksheets emailed to me at bralston@hveast.com. I love the edge/face/vertex sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would also love the edge/face/vertices sheet. Thanks! camigammell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love the edge/face/vertices sheet! Could you email the worksheet to me? Thanks! cdowell@ssmartyr.org

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi
    if you still have these worksheets especially the one where they colour the edges,please could you email them to me.
    pe51pam@gmail.com
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't download the vertices worksheet. Could you please send it via email? salazar.claudia@amschool.edu.sv

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...